Care 4 Kids
To provide specific age appropriate hands on educational programming to children in our community. Children experience a variety of prevention based strategies and activities based around dental health, nutritional education and how it relates to optimal health across their lifespan. Care 4 kids will work closely with those children and families who statistically struggle with access to care and typically bear the largest burden of disease prevalence. Providing regular oral health screenings Care 4 kids will have the ability to identify and address oral health concerns before they become significant problems. Care 4 kids will be partnering with dentists and the community to better meet the dental needs of children who require more comprehensive dental care.
To develop positive health behaviors by increasing the awareness and relevance of oral health care. To decrease the rate of early childhood caries (ECC) and assure that our children have an established and stable “dental home.” To reduce the number of children having to be hospitalized and undergo general anesthesia due to rampant tooth decay at a very young age. Through early childhood education, we can improve the rate of restorative care needed and provide our youth with the tools they need to make better decisions regarding their overall health.
To meet children where they are at developmentally and provide mentorship in both one-on-one and group settings. Each session takes one step forward in their journey toward better health. Our facilitation model shifts the focus from what we know to what the child knows and is curious about, it is assisting self-discovery.
By designing age appropriate activities, we are instilling healthy habits that last a lifetime.
- Preventative – Review plaque formation and removal through proper brushing and flossing
- Nutrition – Understanding food groups, detriment of sugar and label reading
- Exploration – Gaining knowledge and basic understanding of dentistry and its role in optimal health
Tooth decay is the single most common chronic childhood disease:
- ECC (Early Childhood Caries; an infectious disease that starts with tooth eruption) is disproportionately concentrated among socially disadvantaged children
- 5 times more common than asthma
- 4 times more common than childhood obesity
- 20 times more common than diabetes
- 600 Dane county children were treated in the hospital, under sedation for extensive childhood dental disease in 2016.
Through community partnerships and caring dental providers; we can continue to successfully prevent and identify active disease for children that are currently going unserved.
Please join in the journey to a healthier community.